About the Museum

History of the Museum

The late Richard and Hasell Atwell started their collection in Calne where they lived for the whole of their lives. It began with the purchase of the 1937 Buick Albermarle, which is still at the Museum. Soon the original collection of cars grew, first by the addition of the 1934 Vauxhall 14/6, then with the 1931 Singer Junior and others followed.

In 1972 the first car was provided for a family wedding and this led to the establishment of a thriving Wedding Car Fleet.

In 1989 the main hall of the Museum was completed, followed by the final expansion in 2003 funded by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The Museum now houses over 100 cars and motorcycles. In addition there is a 1930’s style garage plus cycles and a good range of motoring memorabilia.

The Museum has been run as a charity since 1997 and this has ensured its continuing growth and sustainability. The Museum and site is managed and operated by a wholly voluntary team of Directors, museum staff and, most significantly, by a group of volunteers who are members of the museum and who help to operate and maintain the site, the vehicle collections and to raise funds.

Spotlight exhibit - Williams FW10

The Williams FW10 first appeared in the 1985 Formula 1 season and was raced by Mansell and Rosberg. Fitted with an 800bhp Honda engine this was the first Willams to sport the distinctive yellow, blue and white livery that the team would use until the end of the 1993 season. 

The Museum is fortunate to have this very special car on loan until June 2025. It is also featured in the February 2024 Edition of GP Racing.

Race image shows the FW10 driven by Keke Rosberg at the Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide on 3rd November 1985. Photo courtesy of GP Racing.

Tour of the Museum